The month-long, countywide fundraiser and wellness event launches on Sunday, October 1. Participants can track their hiking miles from October 1-31 for opportunities to earn free Fjallraven gear and earn matched dollars for charitable contributions.
The event has a dual purpose: to encourage people to fully experience nature, and to raise funds for Nature Unplugged’s scholarship and subsidy program for organizations and communities in need. And it’s completely free to join!
How The Free Hike-a-Thon Works
- Register as an individual or as part of the Locally Well San Diego team!
- Select “San Diego” to receive local hike info from San Diego County Parks + other local organizations.
- Hike as much as you’d like during October 1-31 + use the tracking app of your choice to log your official hiked miles. All registered hikers will receive 3 months of AllTrails+ for free so you can keep track.
- San Diego County Parks will also be hosting free ranger-led hikes for solo hikers, families + groups.
- Plus, when you reach the 25, 50 + 100 mile thresholds you can earn some free gear or $50 / $150 in-store credit from Fjallraven (must be tracked in app).
October 2023 Hike-A-Thon Kick Off Event: Sunday, October 1
Want to learn more? Join the free kick off event on Sunday, October 1 at the Los Penasquitos Ranch House to learn how to register, join our team and begin tracking your mileage. Plus get connected with local wellness resources, barn + animal area, + enjoy a fitness activity / nature walk for all ages at starting at 10:20am.
- 9am: Resources Tables + Wellness Info
- 10am: Presentation + County Proclamation
- 10:20am: Fitness Activity + Nature Walk
- All Day: Open Museum, Barn + Animal Area
Sunday, October 1, 2023, 9am-12pm
Los Penasquitos Ranch House
12122 Canyonside Park Drive, San Diego
About Nature Unplugged
Nature Unplugged is a non-profit organization dedicated to balancing screen time with green time to promote mental and physical wellbeing. Every October, they host Hike-A-Thons across the U.S. with a dual purpose: To encourage people to spend quality time in nature, unplugged, and to raise money to provide scholarships and subsidized Nature Unplugged services for organizations and communities in need.
Looking for More San Diego Events?
Browse our Events Calendar to find San Diego wellness events, workshops and festivals near you.