Balboa Park is made up of more than 1,000 acres and offers 15 museums, various gardens, arts and international culture associations, as well as the San Diego Zoo.
Discounted admissions to Balboa Park’s major museums are available through the Balboa Park Explorer. Park museums also offer free admission(link is external) one Tuesday per month on a rotating basis.
The Old Globe Theatre, San Diego’s largest arts organization, is located in Balboa Park. On its three stages, the Globe annually presents at least 14 productions and 550 performances.
The rich ethnic diversity of San Diego is reflected in the Park’s institutions:
- Centro Cultural de la Raza
- World Beat Center (celebrating cultures of African origins)
- San Diego Museum of Man anthropological museum
- Mingei International Museum
- Japanese Friendship Garden
- House of Pacific Relations – 17 cottages that are home to groups of diverse national origin.
The facilities at Morley Field include USTA-awarded tennis courts, a velodrome (bicycle track), a swimming pool and a disc golf course.
Balboa Park also offers many family play and picnic areas, three leash-free dog parks, lawn bowling, canyon trails for hiking, and a golf course.